I’ve made a discovery: one of the easiest homemade dishes you could ever make for your little one, which by some miracle is also super healthy and adaptable to what you happen to have in your cupboard (so long as you have half an avocado). It was born out of a last minute panic, when I realised my usually constant stock of tomatoes had run out. With a tomato sauce off the cards, and the pasta already cooking, I had to think fast and use what I had in the fridge. Now, my super simple avocado pasta dish is a staple in the weekly menu for Baby Bu.
The Gentle Mama’s Super Simple Avocado Pasta Serves 2 little ones, or 1 little one and 1 adult, depending on the size of the avocado)
1/2 a ripe avocado
- 1 small handful of coriander (cilantro)
- 1-2 squeezes of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of pine nuts
- 1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon of sunflower seeds
Put your pasta on to cook as per packet instructions (honestly, the sauce is so easy it can be made 2 mins before pasta is ready, and you’ll still have extra time)
Cut the avocado into chunks and put into a bowl. With the back of a fork, mash the avocado til it’s a smooth paste (unless your little one likes chunks, in which case leave a bit of texture).
Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix.
Stir into the cooked and drained pasta, et voila! If you’re planning to eat it yourself too, make sure you wait until after portioning off for your little one, to season it.
Easiest pasta sauce you’ll ever make, and so healthy for your little one.
Most babies seem to love avocado, but cramming all those other lovely ingredients in is an extra nutrition bonus!
I wanted to label the last three ingredients as optional but the reality is that everything other than the avocado is optional. I’ve found that the above is a great combination for health, taste, texture. But here are some other additions/ alternatives you could try as well:
- Tomatoes, chopped (I usually include these as Baby Bu devours them by the truckload, daily, but omitted them so that the recipe has more universal appeal)
- Almond or pistachio slivers
- Chicken, cooked and chopped or torn
- Beans (kidney, broad, whatever you have in the cupboard!)
- Spring onions
- Chilli flakes (if they like a little spice)
I hope your little one enjoys it. Let me know what additions or amendments you make – I’m always looking for new ideas!